Complete the following steps in order to use the newest version of Mendeley and the new Mendeley Cite tool within Microsoft Word.
1. Make sure your Mendeley library is fully synced to the cloud (that there is nothing in your local library that is not also online at your Mendeley account).
2. Download and install Mendeley Reference Manager. This new version replaces Mendeley Desktop.
3. Sign in to Mendeley Reference Manager using your Mendeley account information, and your existing library will sync to Mendeley Reference Manager.
4. Next is installing the citation plugin for Word that works with the new Mendeley Reference manager.
5. After waiting at least one hour, check to see if the plug-in for Mendeley is available in your Word online and desktop Word applications:
6. If you are not able to access Mendeley Cite in Word after waiting one hour and following the above steps, please log out of UNL’s Word online and completely close your desktop application of Word. Make sure your Word and Mendeley login accounts match (Step 4). Then go through Step 5 again to see if relaunching the software fixed the issue, and the plug-in is now available.
7. If Mendeley is available in Word online, but not the desktop version, please go to: Insert > Get Add-ins > Admin Managed and click "Mendeley Cite." You may need to click "Refresh" in the upper right corner to see the Mendeley Add-in.