The Digital Milenium Copyright Act
This outlines copyright as it pertains to digital content.
The Digital Milenium Copyright Act (1998)
"The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (pdf) was passed into law in 1998 to address some of the issues unique to digital copyright. In order to help copyright holders protect their digital content, the DMCA contains provisions forbidding circumvention of digital protections and protecting copyright management information." Copyright Clerance Center. 2008
The Act is divided in to five "titles," the DMCA is a complex act that addresses a number of issues that are of concern to libraries. Among its many provision, the Act:
* imposes rules prohibiting the circumvention of technological protection measures
* sets limitations on copyright infringement liability for online service providers (OSPs)
* expands an existing exemption for making copies of computer programs
* provides a significant updating of the rules and procedures regarding archival preservation
* mandates a study of distance education activities in networked environments
* mandates a study of the effects of anti-circumvention protection rules on the "first sale" doctrine
Guides to DMCA
DMCA - Copyright and Fair Use- Trends and Resources for 12st Century Scholars.
Akabar- Williams, Tahirih. LibGuide