Skip to main content

Grants & Foundations: Nonprofit Organizations

Nonprofit Organizations

Most grants go to non-profit organizations with the IRS status of 501 (c) 3. Official federal and state information on 501(c)3 status is available on government websites. Other sources can be used to research existing nonprofits.

Guidestar profiles nonprofits and foundations based on tax reports to the IRS. The website is free but requires registration. More complex analyses are fee-based.

Publication 78: Cumulative List of Organizations described in Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 198,,id=96136,00.html
Publication 78 is the IRS official list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions. They are often described by their IRS designation of 501(c) 3. Most grants go to nonprofits with 501(c) 3 status.

IRS Tax Information for Charitable Organizations
The IRS website offers nine information stations covering various aspects of acquiring tax-exemption status and reporting annually.

Charity Navigator
CN evaluates the financial health of major charities.

National Center for Charitable Statistics
The NCCS provides state and national statistics on nonprofits, along with data analysis tools and access to raw data.

Nebraska - Non-Profit Organization Information
The DED web page provides information on incorporation, taxation, and fundraising issues for Nebraska nonprofits.

Subject Guide

Toni Anaya's picture
Toni Anaya
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries
Hours of Operation | Parking Maps | Employment | Support the Libraries
318 Love Library | 13th & R | Lincoln, NE | (402) 472-9568
 @UNLLibraries |  @UNL_Lib |  @unl_lib |